When you decide to go natural (or as some would say, return to natural), you have undoubtedly accepted the fact that your God given hair is good enough. It’s a part of who you are and there’s no need to “change” its appearance because society (or whoever) deems it inappropriate or not good enough.
It’s been a long time since I decided to embrace my natural curls and leave the creamy crack alone. While I made the decision to go natural quite a while ago, it was not without some trial and error experiences. In fact, it was often quite humorous (although I didn’t think so at the time) back then.
In the video below, I share 5 Mistakes (plus a bonus one) Made When I First Went Natural. If you want just the highlights, they are summarized below but for all my video antics and little more entertainment, watch the video:
1) Flat Ironing Weekly – For lack of knowing how to style my newly natural hair, I would flat iron my hair on a weekly basis. I knew nothing about twist outs, braid outs or even wash and go’s.
2) My first Wash and Go was a hot mess that looked like I made it with hot doo doo. OK maybe not that bad but nah, yeah it was pretty bad. I used a lightweight conditioner with absolutely no hold. Conditioner only wash and go’s are possible but you need to use a conditioner with specific ingredients. I learned this when I stumbled upon The Tightly Curly Method.
3) Using the comb attachment on the blow dryer – When blow drying my hair, I ripped out quite a bit of hair while trying to stretch out my strands. Although I don’t blow dry my hair often, when I do now, I use the tension blow dry method.
4) I became a product junkie. Trying to find products that would style my hair just like my favorite YouTuber, I fell prey to buying any and every product on the market. Not only did it hurt my finances, it hurt my hair. I never gave any product enough time to prove it’s efficacy…or lack thereof.
5) No hair regimen. I didn’t follow a healthy hair regimen. I would just sort of shoot in the dark with what I was doing. I just washed my hair whenever. I didn’t prepoo or follow any of the other healthy hair practices to protect or help my hair to thrive.
What natural hair mistakes have you been making?