It’s a major dilemma (OK probably not major) when you’re torn between your favorite go to hair style (for me, it’s the the wash and go) and the commitment to continue with protective styling.
I’ve been engaging in protective styling for the past 3 weeks and in keeping with the commitment to share a month’s worth of protective styles with you, I’ve got two more weeks to go. Today’s protective style is a roll with flat twists.
This style is very easy to do (just like the others: curly bun, loose two strand twists, banana clipped updo). It can last for a few days at a time, depending on how tight you pin that back roll. I like my roll to look full so I pin it loosely. How you do it is entirely up to you. You’ll have to sleep with a satin bonnet on to keep it all in place but if you find that you awake looking a little disheveled, simply re-pin the loose areas. There shouldn’t be a need to have to take all of your hair down.
Protective Style: Roll with Flat Twists
How To Create This Look
Tools/Accessories Needed: bobby pins, hair candy (accessories like chop sticks, hair flowers etc)
- Starting on freshly washed hair with curls already set and dried, flat twist one half of the front of your hair and secure with a bobby pin like so:
- Repeat on the other side.
- Once both sides of the hair are flat twisted and secured 1/2 way back, begin to roll the remaining back section upwards.
- Pin as you roll.
- Continue rolling and pinning until all hair is secured.
- Use as many bobby pins as you need.
- Play with the placement of the roll so that it’s even on both sides….or not.
- Last off, don’t forget to accessorize 🙂
To set my curls I used:
– Alikay Naturals Lemongrass Leave in Conditioner
– CurlPrep Sweet Butta
– Curl Prep Around the Way Gel