This wash day I’m trying something new. I was reluctant to participate in this week’s link up hosted by Saving Our Strands and Just Grow Already because I don’t have any new products nor do I have any new hairstyles I want to try.
Then it dawned on me that the topic doesn’t say it has to be using new products or trying a new hairstyle. It can be anything new as it pertains to healthy hair care. Duh!
So, for wash day this week I decided to try a couple of new techniques. One new technique I’ve been intrigued with trying (shared on Just Grow Already) is finger detangling my hair with a mix of water and glycerin before applying my pre-poo. The second technique that’s new to me is to steam my hair after applying my leave in conditioner.
Wash Day Products:
- Organic Unrefined Coconut Oil
- Shea Moisture Coconut Hibiscus Cleansing Conditioner
- Kinky Curly Knot Today Leave In Conditioner
- Shea Moisture Curl Enhancing Smoothing
- Jojoba Oil
Technique #1: Finger Detangling with Water + Glycerin
In a plastic spray bottle, I mixed glycerin and water 3 to 1 in favor of water. Then, I finger detangled my hair in sections. Since this is a new technique for me, I decided to work in smaller sections – 6 total.
I initially planned to wash my hair shortly after but I wound up washing the following day. When I went to apply my coconut oil to pre-poo, my hair was super detangled #winning
Technique #2: Steaming after Applying a Leave In
I used the Q-Redew Handheld Hair Steamer to quickly steam my hair. I wasn’t looking for a long steaming session so I simply clipped up my freshly washed and conditioned hair into 4 sections and steamed each section after applying my staple leave in conditioner: Kinky Curly Knot Today Leave in Conditioner.
After just a few minutes of steaming my hair (about 1 minute on each section), I then proceeded to seal all of that wonderful moisture in with a fine haired natural’s most friendly oil: Jojoba.
Here’s a short video that includes me demo’ing the process:
Trying these two new-to-me techniques has taught me:
- I can enjoy the benefits of glycerin year round by simply utilizing it for it’s wonderful slip. When using the glycerin to finger detangle, I don’t have to worry about the dew point outdoors. (the dew point determines if moisture is draw from the environment into your hair or the other way around).
- Steaming can be done successfully to impart moisture to the hair both before and after the wash process.
After all my detangling, pre-pooing, cleansing, and conditioning, I styled my hair in a wash and go using one of my fave’s, Shea Moisture Curl Enhancing Smoothing. I love how this product can transform my wet curly hair into fluffy curly hair once it’s dry.
How was your last wash day experience?