This past weekend, I ventured out to Brooklyn for the 2017 Hue Beauty & Natural Hair Affair. It was held at the Sheraton Hotel and sponsored by Natural Partners in Crime and The Mane Choice.
The event was basically an all day natural hair shopping event conducted in two shifts, morning and afternoon. The first 100 ladies to arrive at the beginning of each shopping shift received a premium swag bag.
Yes, I was out there a little over 90 minutes before the doors opened because I needed to make sure my trek to the BK was worth it! As you can see, it was. Some of what you see in this picture from left to right includes:
- Smarty Pants Gummy Vitamins
- Samples of Aunt Jackie’s Products
- Samples from Girl + Hair
- Curls Twist and Shout Cream
- Shea Moisture’s new Braid-Up and Conditioning Gel (used this on my son already. Not feeling it)
- Eden Bodyworks Coconut Body Wash
- A sheet mask (my latest beauty obsession. Can’t wait to try this one)
- Creme of Nature samples
- Natural Eyebrow adhesive
- Palmer’s Conditioning Spray Hair Oil
- Camille Rose Naturals coconut water leave in sample (I have full size bottles of this… a staple!)
- Alikay Naturals Sample Detangling Hair Spray
- Palmer’s Coconut Facial oil (I’ve used this once already and love it)
- Curl Keeper samples
- KISS Press on Manicures (I’ve used these in the past before and like them. They’re great for ladies like me who can barely make time to get to a nail salon)
- Mane Choice Pink Lemonade & Coconut Oil + Lotion Infusion (I’ve used this too. I wouldn’t purchase it. It’s just OK to me and the smell…meh, not my cup of tea but the scent will be just fine in my hair when I use the mousse since the smell dissipates). I think I was supposed to receive it with a bottle of the body wash but it seems I received two bottles of the lotion.
Ticket entry was only $10 in advance (+ a small fee). Yet, my commute was so long I would have been pissed had I not gotten that bag! I digress.
Coincidentally, Beautycon was taking place at the same time so while it was crowded at the Hue Beauty and Natural Hair Affair, the crowd wasn’t as overwhelming as it could have been. NY Naturals show up!
The highlight of the afternoon was when I got to speak with Courtney, Founder of the Mane Choice. I shared my thoughts on how many of her products have changed the game for my fine hair.
The most important thing I had to share however was how she needs to make that jar of Ancient Egyptian Deep Conditioner bigger LOL. It may or may not happen but hey, I had to try. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
The day was well spent just getting that swag bag but I did purchase a few things:
- NEW Pink Lemonade & Coconut Super Antioxidant & Texture Beautifier Mousse
- ManetabolismPlus Vitamins (this is my 3rd bottle)
- NEW Ancient Egyptian 24 Karat Glistening Gold Twisting Gel (yes I’m using this next wash day and updating you ASAP! It’s not even sold on their website yet but some Sally’s stores just got it in)
- Curl Blaze Hair Glaze
- Magical Molasses Deep-Constructor
- Can’t Believe It Knot Butter (I didn’t actually buy this. I was supposed to get the Mango Dip Detangling Slip but the lady put the wrong product in the bag. In spite of it all, after having a little hissy fit on Instagram someone from Soultanicals responded to my post of disappointment and they are shipping me the correct product! (I can’t wait to review these for you).
There were a number of vendors in the house (this isn’t a complete list but these are the ones I can remember):
- Mane Choice
- Curl Keeper
- Eden Bodyworks
- Mielle Organics
- Eternally in Amber
- Aunt Jackie’s
- Uncle Funky’s Daughter
- Obia Naturals
Creme of Nature was also in the house (or should I say hotel) and provided a great giveaway for simply taking a pic of yourself with their products and hashtagging it with #IAmSuperNatural. I negotiated a bit with one of the reps at the table and took her picture instead 🙂
I didn’t photograph the items they gave out, but the bag included (everything Creme of Nature logo’d):
– Hair comb
– Hair pick
– Selfie stick
– Samples galore
Last but not least, that picture above with Courtney did my hair no justice. Here’s what it looked like in the light:
Yep, it’s frizzy and that’s all good. (I’m thinking of renaming myself “The Frizzy and Content Natural.” Seriously though, the frizz is compliments of me not being able to keep my hands out of this hair! It was one of my fullest wash and go’s to date…partially compliments of the massive amount of shrinkage.
Products used: Mane Choice 3 in 1 conditioner + Crystal Orchard Gel (a post on this coming soon).