Curly natural hair is naturally dry. That’s no secret. Moisture is critical to keeping it from drying out and breaking off. You can’t have a quality hair care regimen without including moisturizing. What you moisturize with, how often and the method you use is also important.
My Step by Step Moisture Process
There are a number of ways to moisturize fine natural hair. The moisture simply comes from water. You don’t have an effective moisturizer without water.
Many follow what’s called the LOC (Liquid, Oil, Cream) method to moisturize but the LCO (Liquid, Cream, Oil) Method is becoming increasingly more popular. Midweek, this is what I like to do.
On wash day when I’m not styling in a wash and go, I like to follow the LCCO (Liquid, Conditioner, Cream, Oil method. I find that this helps my hair to stay moisturized for the longest amount of time. How you handle wash day sets the stage for how moisturized your hair is and how long it retains moisture.
After washing your hair, it’s laden with moisture. To keep it moisturized, it has to be sealed in and the type of sealant used on fine natural hair will determine if the hair is weighed down. I opt to use light oils on my fine hair. (They are listed below).
During the colder months, I like to use a DIY whipped mango butter recipe. It’s creamy and also lightweight enough to keep fine hair from being weighted down.
LCCO Process for moisturizing on wash day:
- After washing and deep conditioning, apply a leave in conditioner.
- Apply my styling creaming.
- Seal in all that moisture with my light weight oil.
- Style my hair.
LCO Process for moisturizing mid-week:
- Working in 4 sections, one at a time I spritz the hair with water so that it’s dampened but not soaking wet.
- I then apply a creamy moisturizing product like Cassandra Beccai’s Hair Milk Daily Conditioner. Full review here (formerly known as Eden’s Heart).
- Follow with my light weight oil
- Twist up each section until it nearly dries
- Proceed with styling
Recommended Oils for Fine Natural Hair
- Jojoba Oil
- Grapeseed Oil
- Almond Oil
- Avocado Oil
- Argan Oil
Recommended Moisturizing Products
- Cassandre Beccai Hair Milk
- Shea Moisture Curl Enhancing Smoothie
Recommended Leave In Conditioners
- Kinky Curly Knot Today
- Shea Moisture Strengthen, Grown & Restore Leave In
- Kimmaytube DIY Leave in Recipe (I share more on my staples and modified recipe here)
- TRESemme Naturals Perfectly (un)done (yes this is sold as a rinse out but you can leave it in)
- Eden Bodyworks Coconut Shea Leave In
This post is a part of the series, “Sorting out a Fine Haired Natural’s Wash Day Step by Step.” Here are previous posts:
Subscribe to this blog be alerted of future posts