Every time I share something here on Radiant Brown Beauty, it’s my goal to write something useful to help you release that inner diva of yours (we all have one, admit it or not!). Hence, the tag line of this blog: “Release Your Inner Diva with Radiant Skin and Hair Tips for all Shades of Beautiful.” You’ll find posts written about hair care, skin care, product reviews, self esteem, and fitness from time to time. In my last post I introduced a new featured topic: Finance Friday. But for now let’s talk hair.
Social networking is a beautiful thing. You meet women from various backgrounds interested in learning more about how to care for their hair. I’ve received a number of hair related questions but the one that comes up over and over again is, “How do you care for your hair and what products do you use?”
My hair care regimen has been revised and simplified over the past year or so. It’s not necessarily simple according to some but it is simplified. I share a about it from time to time but figured it would be a good idea to put it altogether on one page for those interested in how I care for my hair, including defining my curls and retaining length.
The PJ (product junkie) in me has finally been slayed. I finally found the products that cause my hair to thrive but here’s my disclaimer up front. What works for me may or may not work for you. You can use my products and techniques as a guideline for discovery but it’s really important to invest the time to figure out what works for your hair.
Now, without further ado, here’s my complete curly hair care regimen, revised and “simplified”.
Daily Hair Care (or several days a week):
- Spritz hair with a combination of filtered water and leave in conditioner, concentrating on the ends
- Seal length of the hair with an oil or butter based product
- Seal ends of the hair with an oil
- Tie hair down nightly with a satin scarf and cover with a satin bonnet (REVISED: I no longer sleep with a bonnet or scarf. I just bun my hair and sleep with it uncovered, laying on a satin pillow case.) If hair is in twists, I wrap them first. If hair is curled, in a twist out or braid out, I put it in a pineapple. Click here for information on: the Pineapple Hair Technique
Weekly Hair Care:
- Pre-poo hair with an oil/conditioner combination
- Wash hair, concentrating on my scalp
- Detangle in shower with a rinse out conditioner
- Rinse with a cream rinse
- Apply leave in conditioner
- Seal hair – length then ends
- Air dry in large twists or braids. Alternatively, if I’m going to put in mini twists, I’ll air dry the hair undisturbed to about 85% dry and then proceed to twist
Monthly Hair Care
- Henna (or henna gloss) hair
- Zizyphus treatment to give curls a boost (every 3 months)
- Shea Moisture Coconut & Hibiscus Shampoo (not pictured)
- Dove Nutritive Therapy Nourishing Oil Care Conditioner
- Dove Daily Moisturizing Conditioner (not pictured)
Treatments & Dry Detangling:
- Aubrey Organics Glycogen Protein Balance Conditioner OR Dove Nourishing Oil Care Conditioner mixed with Vatika Coconut Oil for Pre-poo
- Butters ‘N Bars Original Conditioning Hair Masque for Protein/Moisture Treatment (Review coming this Friday)
- Henna for African Hair (1st choice, not pictured)
- Jamila Henna (2nd choice, not pictured)
- Aubrey Organics Green Tea Cream Rinse for sealing the deep conditioner in before rinsing
- Jamaican Black Castor Oil for sealing ends of hair
- Jojoba Oil for Sealing the length of hair
- Shea or Mango Butter Mix (mixed with Jojoba Oil, Olive Oil, JBCO, Vitamin E and Peppermint Essential Oil) for sealing length of hair (this is mostly used on top of Jojoba oil during the colder months)
- Salerm 21 Leave in Conditioner
- Aubrey Organics Honeysuckle Rose Conditioner (as a leave in)
- Aloe Vera Gel (first choice) for smoothing edges
- Flax Seed Gel for holding twists
- Wonder Curl Get Set Hair Jelly for firm set Wash ‘n Go’s
- Shea Moisture Curl Enhancing Smoothie for soft set Wash ‘n Go’s
- Wonder Curl Get Set Hair Smoothie for Wash ‘n Go (combined with Get Set Hair Jelly)
Additional Hair Info
- My hair tends to maintain its natural moisture/oil balance for days on end.
- On the weeks that I sport wash ‘n go’s I do not spritz and seal. I just leave my hair alone until it’s time to wash.
- I air dry and only straighten once a year.
- I trim 2x a year and dust raggedy ends when hair is in twists – about once every 3 months
- I engage in protective styling 90% of the time with my hair either in twists or buns
- As you can probably tell, my hair care products are almost all natural for the exception of a few
- When it comes to the various products used within the same category (ex: conditioners), I rotate them out so that my hair doesn’t get too used to them
The products I’ve just shared with you, as well as the technique will remain for the foreseeable future. Over time, I’ve discovered that they work pretty well for my hair throughout year.
I hope sharing my curly hair care regimen was helpful. Let me know in the comments section below!