This is week 5 of 52 wash days chronicling what I’ll be doing to gain length on my fine natural hair. The goal is still waist length but it will take a little longer due to my recent cut. Subscribe to this blog to be notified when future posts are published.
Pre-Poo: Luv Naturals Don’t Be So Clingy Hair Detangler
Cleanser: TRESemme Naturals Conditioner to Co-wash
Deep Conditioner: 22nd Century Natural DIY Conditioner
Rinse Out Conditioner: None
Leave In Conditioner: None
Styler: Shea Moisture Curl Enhancing Smoothie
Tools: Fingers, Hot Head Conditioning Cap, Plastic Cap, Spatula and Plastic Bowl
Wash Day Procedure
- Used Luv Naturals Don’t Be So Clingy as my pre-poo while finger detangling for a Youtube video LOL (multitasking is sometimes necessary 🙂 ).
- Clipped hair into 4 sections
- After about an hour (or rather when I finished my video), washed my hair with TRESemme Naturals conditioner, section by section. When done washing, combined the back two sections into one.
- Removed some of my 22nd Century Natural Woman’s DIY deep conditioner from the fridge and microwaved to warm it up for 10 secs.
- Applied the deep conditioner to each section of my hair, re-clipped, put on plastic cap and sat under my Hot Head for 20 minutes.
- Hopped back in the shower and rinsed hair section by section and re-clipped.
- Took all clips out and applied Shea Moisture’s Curl Enhancing Smoothie throughout the entire head.
- Smoothed the product into my hair and pulled hair down and clipped it to my t-shirt so that it would stretch while air drying.
- Once dry, I put my hair up in a pineapple and slept on a satin pillowcase.
Here’s a clip of me washing my hair. The Luv Naturals product left my hair soft and easy to detangle.
Today’s micro focus was to lighten up on my strengthening and focus more on moisture and deep conditioning. Since, I did a henna two weeks ago, a goat’s milk treatment last week and also spray with a DIY henna/Shikakai/Amla spray every other day, I think I’m good on the protein for a few weeks.
Focus & Thoughts
I give today’s wash day a 5/5. Yes mam. Yes sir. Today’s wash day was easy peasy. Detangling was easy and styling was super fast.
Warming the deep conditioner made it even more luxurious. Because this deep conditioner is largely made with Shea Butter, I didn’t feel the need to seal it. Especially, since I didn’t use any rinse out conditioner.
Clipping my hair to my t-shirt on each side allowed my hair to stretch while drying. The shrinkage level was acceptable with this method 🙂 It was also easier than putting clips on individual curls.
The best part of this entire wash day is I used minimal products and this is the result (My fine natural hair does quite well with very little product 🙂 ):
P.S. Today is my son’s 14th birthday. He will probably never read this but I wanted the world to know that I wish him a very Happy Birthday and May God continue to bless him. <3