This is week 10 of 52 wash days chronicling what I’ll be doing to gain length on my fine natural hair. My length goal is waist length within the next 2 1/2 years. Subscribe to this blog to be notified when future posts are published.
Pre-Poo: Coconut Oil + Trader Joe’s Tea Tree Tingle Conditioner + Shea Moisture Strengthen, Grow & Restore Serum
Cleanser: Eden Bodyworks Coconut Shea Cleansing Co-wash
Protein Conditioner: None
Deep Conditioner: 22nd Century Natural DIY Conditioner
Rinse Out Conditioner: None
Leave In Conditioner: That Curl Leave In Conditioner
Sealant and/or Styler: Natural Divinity Moisture Whipped Hair Parfait
Tools: Fingers :-), Silver Conditioning Cap, Hot Head, Plastic Bowl, Spatula, Hair Claw
Wash Day Procedure
- Applied SM serum throughout the scalp and massaged.
- Smoothed coconut oil into hair (no detangling) followed by smoothing the conditioner into hair in sections.
- After applying the coconut oil/conditioner, bantu knotted the section and ended up with 3 on each side of my head.
- Hopped in the shower and took down 1st bantu knot in the font and washed hair with co-wash, focusing on the scalp while smoothing down the length of the hair.
- Rinsed section and re-knotted
- Repeated on remaining knotted sections.
- Took down 1 knot in the back and smoothed the deep conditioner down the length of the hair and re-knotted. (I keep this DIY conditioner in the fridge so prior to washing, I put some of the conditioner in a plastic bowl and allowed it to sit in hot water – just beneath boiling) while I washed my hair.
- Repeated applying the deep condition to each section, re-knotting
- Put on silver conditioning cap
- Heated Hot Head in the microwave for 90 seconds. (30 secs on one side, turned inside out and 60 secs on the other).
- Left Hot Head on for 15 minutes.
- Removed Hot Head and allowed hair to cool for 5 minutes.
- Hopped back in the shower and rinsed each section out while finger detangling.
- When done, exited shower, dried off and applied leave in conditioner throughout hair.
- Smoothed the hair parfait over hair using the praying hands method.
- Sectioned a small area of hair at the base of my head out and clipped top of hair up.
- Began loose two strand twisting hair in 1/2 inch sections. Started off by braiding the roots. TOTAL TWISTING TIME: 2 hours.
Focus & Thoughts
Today’s micro focus was get my hair nice and moisturized and set up to protective style. The goal is for it last for 2 weeks. Next week I don’t plan to wash my hair. I want to see if I can go 2 weeks with my loose twists. I haven’t done loose twists on my shorter hair so I’m interested to see if I can keep the style in longer. For next week’s wash day, if all goes as planned, I will only wash my scalp with an ACV (apple cider vinegar) solution. Stay tuned.
I give today’s wash day a 5/5. My hair was very tangled from laying on it at the hospital (more on that in the next post). Simply allowing my pre-poo to sit for about an hour, made my hair very easy to wash. Detangling was also a breeze after co-washing. Most of all, I absolutely love how my loose twists came out. This cut is proving to be pretty awesome 🙂