This is week 14 of 52 wash days chronicling what I’ll be doing to gain length on my fine natural hair. My length goal is waist length within the next 2 1/2 years. Subscribe to this blog to be notified when future posts are published.
Pre-Poo: Aubrey Organics GPB + DIY Oil Elixir
Cleanser: As I Am Coconut Cowash
Protein Conditioner: None
Deep Conditioner: 22nd Century Natural DIY conditioner (not pictured; it’s finished – not repurchasing or making this recipe)
Rinse Out Conditioner: Aubrey Organics White Camelia conditioner (diluted)
Leave In Conditioner: TRESemme Naturals Nourishing Moisture Conditioner
Sealant and/or Styler: Eco Styler Crystal Gel
Tools: Fingers :-), Conair hooded Blow Dryer, Plastic Caps, Silver conditioning cap, Plastic Bowl, Spatula, Easy Cape towel, Large Tooth comb
Wash Day Procedure
- Spritzed hair with water and applied pre-poo to hair in sections starting with AO GPB followed by my special hair growth elixir.
- Twisted each completed section in a chunky twist.
- Put on 3 plastic caps (they were too small lol) and sat under my hooded dryer for about 7 minutes.
- Allowed hair to cool for 5 minutes.
- Hopped in shower and washed scalp with hot water and cleansing co-wash in the sections then released the twists.
- Rinsed thoroughly and repeated.
- Rinsed and applied deep conditioner
- Covered hair with silver conditioning cap and sat under hooded dryer for 10 minutes
- Allowed conditioner to cool in hair for about 20 minutes
- Hopped back in shower and rinsed hair with water.
- Applied diluted rinsing conditioner heavily throughout hair and began to finger detangle.
- Finished the detangling under the water stream with the shower comb.
- Turned water cold and ran down hair from mid-shaft to ends.
- Hopped out of the shower and applied a layer of leave in conditioner followed by gel to my hair working from the back to the front.
- Clipped front of hair up away from face to allow hair to dry (this is how I will wear it styled for a couple of days.
- Began the air drying process by applying a clip to the ends of each side section of hair so that it would dry a little stretched.
- Went to bed with hair in a pineapple about 80% dry.
Focus & Thoughts
Today’s micro focus was to deep condition for extra moisture. It’s wash and go season and my fine natural hair loves a wonderfully hydrated wash and go! I also love how quick and easy it is to do my hair when styling in a wash and go.
So, I haven’t used my beloved Aubrey Organics GPB in a loooong time. I’m still on #OperationScaleDownMyStash so I’ve been using up other things to try and get rid of them. After pre-pooing with Aubrey’s GPB and my oil mix, I was reminded of why I love this product combo so much!
When it came time to wash, I decided to use my large tooth shower comb today. I normally finger detangle in the shower but since I wanted to get this done before midnight, I decided to use the comb. It glided through my hair pretty effortlessly except for a little tangling at my roots. However, it still took me about 1/2 the time to detangle with my large tooth shower comb as it does with my fingers.
Last off, I was reading a post by Lavishly Natural on figuring out your staple hair care ingredients. I looked at all of my staple hair products and identified the common oils in them (including essential oils). Once I identified the oils, I combined them to create my very own Hair Growth Elixir.
The oils that make up my elixir are coconut, jojoba, peppermint or tea tree oil and vitamin E. Plus, depending on what scent I want the oil to have, I’ll use lemongrass or sweet orange essential oil. I massage this oil into my scalp on wash day (via the pre-poo) and once more during the week. It’s VERY stimulating.
While the oils I’ve just shared are my staple oils, I had some pumpkin seed oil left over that I really wanted to use up so instead of using the Jojoba oil, I substituted the pumpkin seed oil. I actually really like it but it’s a pretty greasy oil. I prefer Jojoba oil on my fine hair because it is light and absorbs quickly into my hair and scalp.
I give today’s wash day another 5/5 . When I do wash and go’s they are almost always a super success 🙂 Most products work really well but what I found to be most extraordinary on this wash day is how smooth and detangled my hair was after the wash (and before the deep condition). I think I’ll be sitting under my hooded dryer for a few minutes with my pre-poo more often 🙂