This is week 15 of 52 wash days chronicling what I’ll be doing to gain length on my fine natural hair. My length goal is waist length within the next 2 1/2 years. Subscribe to this blog to be notified when future posts are published.
Pre-Poo: Organic Unrefined Coconut Oil
Cleanser: Liquified Tea Tree & Charcoal Shampoo Bar by Taproot Organics
Protein Conditioner: DIY Goat’s Milk Conditioner
Deep Conditioner: Shea Moisture Manuka Honey and Mafura Oil Intensive Hydration Mask
Rinse Out Conditioner: none
Leave In Conditioner: Kinky Curly Knot Today
Sealant and/or Styler: Camille Rose Naturals Curl Maker + Camille Rose Naturals Almond Jai Twisting Butter
Tools: Fingers :-), Hot Head Conditioning Cap, Plastic cap, Glass Bowl, Hair clips, Spatula, Q-Redew Steamer
Wash Day Procedure
- Applied coconut oil through hair and bunned under a satin lined hat for about 8 hours while running errands.
- After errands (nightfall), separated hair into 6 loose twists.
- Hopped in the shower and allowed hot water to run down hair.
- Shampoo’d scalp and allowed the suds to run down the twists (re-twisted those that unraveled) .
- Applied DIY goat’s milk conditioner throughout hair after unraveling twists (I added 1/2 dropper of tea tree oil and peppermint oil to it and substituted the honey with agave this time around).
- Put on plastic cap and sat with 15 minutes under my Hot Head microwavable conditioning cap.
- Hopped back in shower and rinsed out goat’s milk conditioner.
- Worked the SM Hair Masque throughout hair, smoothing it into the hair.
- Used my Q-Redew Handheld Hair Steamer to open the cuticles of the hair to receive the product. It took about 10 minutes to complete my entire head.
- Hopped back in shower and rinsed hair with warm water.
- Completed the rinse process with cold water from mid-shaft to ends.
- Separated hair into 4 sections and clipped each section up.
- Working from back to front in medium size sections, applied leave in conditioner followed by CRN CurlMaker.
- Once all of the CurlMaker was applied to my hair, I applied CRN Almond Jai Twisting Butter to hair and loosely twisted in large twists – total of 6.
- Change of plans! Removed the twists and re-defined back of hair but then put 8 two strand twists in the front – 4 on each side.
- Pinned the twists across the back of my head while leaving the back section out.
- Went to bed after about 2 hours – hair was about 80% dry.
- Next morning, I took off the bonnet and proceeded to record a Youtube video of my newly created Hybrid Hairstyle: Wash ‘n Go Meets Twist Out 🙂 Take a look:
Focus & Thoughts
Today’s micro focus was to equally strengthen and deep condition my hair. The night before I washed, I noticed a few splits toward the ends of my hair as I engaged in a little Search ‘Destroy session. I clipped the ends of quite a few hairs as I felt tiny balls on the ends. These tiny balls are actually the beginning signs of a split so they had to go!
I recently purchased Shea Moisture’s Manuka Honey and Mafura Oil Intensive Hydration Masque and I couldn’t wait to use it! Well, skip the full review. I love it!! I love it even more than the 10 in 1 Superfruit Complex Masque.
After a protein treatment, hair isn’t very soft. It’s strong but kind of coarse. Well, this SM Manuka Honey and Mafura Oil Masque worked immediately upon contact and the few minutes of steaming sealed the deal (Read about the benefits of steaming your hair). My hair was completely transformed from feeling a little bit coarse (from the goat’s milk) to soft and smooth.
I know I mentioned creating most of my own hair products going forward but I’m keeping this Masque on standby for when I get lazy!
The CRN CurlMaker was also a new acquisition. It gave my curls great definition but not as much hold as I would have liked. Perhaps using a leave in diluted it? Not sure. I’ll try it again solo but at $22 for the bottle, this may not become a stable although I love it and it smells AMAZE-BALLS!
Well, this was another easy breezy wash day. As you can see from the video, I decided to try a mix of leaving the back of my hair in a wash and go and the front of my hair in a twist out. This way I got more shrinkage in the back and more elongation in the front for a “bob like” effect.
I give today’s wash day a 4/5 . What? Why you say? Well, while I did love the SM Intensive Hydration Masque and the initial application of the CRN Curlmaker, I’m seeing some early signs of frizz. I don’t think that the CurlMaker gives my wash ‘n go’s enough staying power.