This is week 18 of 52 wash days chronicling what I’ll be doing to gain length on my fine natural hair. Technically, it’s week 17 but since I didn’t wash my hair last week (more on that below). My length goal is waist length within the next 2 1/2 years. Subscribe to this blog to be notified when future posts are published.
Pre-Poo: Organic Unrefined Coconut Oil
Cleanser: As I Am Coconut Co-wash
Protein Conditioner: DIY Goat’s Milk & Honey Conditioner
Deep Conditioner: Shea Moisture Manuka Honey and Mafura Oil Intensive Hydration Mask
Rinse Out Conditioner: None
Leave In Conditioner: TRESemme Expert Selection (un)Done Weightless Moisturizing Conditioner
Sealant and/or Styler: Super Wet Gel
Tools: Fingers :-), Hot Head Conditioning Cap, Conair hard dome hair dryer, Plastic cap, Plastic Bowl, Spatula, Remington handheld blow dryer
Wash Day Procedure
- Applied coconut oil to hair and put back in a puff to go out
- Allowed pre-poo to sit on hair for several hours.
- Applied the co-wash to hair in sections (4) and twisted hair, then bantu knotted.
- Hopped in the shower and allowed hair to wet and foam up.
- Washed hair section by section and lightly finger detangled using the co-wash for slip.
- Applied DIY goat’s milk treatment.
- Put on plastic cap and sat under my Hot Head conditioning cap for 15 minutes
- Hopped back in the shower and rinsed with warm water.
- Applied deep conditioning mask and put plastic cap back on.
- Sat under dome shaped dryer for 15 minutes switching from high to low heat.
- Hopped back in the shower and rinsed hair with cool water.
- Re-sectioned hair into 4 (finger parted the front).
- Hopped out of the shower and applied TRESemme conditioner to hair working from the back in sections and smoothed down the section.
- Followed the conditioner with a small amount of gel over the conditioner, smoothing further.
- After working the conditioner/gel through the sections, allowed hair to air dry about 60%
- Diffused hair on cool with hair dryer and diffuser.
- Pulled hair up to a high ponytail and secured with a scarf, allowing the curls to fall through the top of the scarf and went to bed.
- In the morning, removed the scarf, shook hair and from underneath, shook the roots.
- Smoothed edges down with Curls Blueberry Bliss Control Paste and went to church.
Focus & Thoughts
Today’s micro focus was to strengthen and deep condition.
It’s been two weeks since I’ve washed my hair! If you like my me Facebook page then you know I was very sick for two weeks with asthma related complications. I actually pre-poo’d my hair last week but never made it to washing and styling. As much as I never like to skip a wash day, I was just in no position to do so.
Yesterday I was in the emergency care unit and received an albuterol treatment along with a prescription for steroids to reduce the inflammation in my lungs. I’m feeling so much better now. When I got home, I slept from about 4pm to 9pm. At that time, I got up and was finally able to wash my hair. I knew it was late and my hair wouldn’t dry so that’s why I decided to dry using my diffuser with cool air. It took me about 30 minutes to dry fully before going back to bed.
Last off, my shedding wasn’t above normal but check out all those fine hairs all over my shower wall!
Total wash/protein treat/deep condition/style time: 3 hours and 45 minutes
I give today’s wash day a 5/5. In spite of the delay, my fine natural curls were easily strengthened, re-hydrated, and styled. Plus, I got great definition and volume for my wash and go..