This is week 19 of 52 wash days chronicling what I’ll be doing to gain length on my fine natural hair. My length goal is waist length within the next 2 1/2 years. Subscribe to this blog to be notified when future posts are published.
Pre-Poo: Organic Unrefined Coconut Oil + Aubrey Organics GPB, Shea Moisture Superfruit Complex 10-in 1 Renewal System Hair & Scalp Serum
Cleanser: Eden Bodyworks Coconut Shea Cleansing Co-wash
Protein Treatment: None (only in the pre-poo)
Deep Conditioner: Shea Moisture Manuka Honey & Mafurah Oil Intensive Hydration Masque
Rinse Out Conditioner: Suave Naturals Tropical Coconut conditioner
Leave In Conditioner: None (styler acts as leave in)
Sealant and/or Styler: Avocado Oil, Shea Moisture Curl Enhancing Smoothie + Shea Moisture Curling Soufflee
Tools: Fingers :-), Remington handheld dryer, plastic cap, scalp massager, water bottle
Wash Day Procedure
- Applied Aubrey Organics GPB throughout hair followed by the coconut oil.
- Pulled hair back in a banana clip and went to work.
- After returning home, massaged scalp with scalp massager and applied serum to scalp
- Separated hair into sections.
- 15 minutes later, washed hair leaning over the tub section by section and rinsed thoroughly.
- Applied deep conditioner, put on plastic cap and used handheld dryer to blow high heat all across the head for 10 minutes.
- Rinsed deep conditioner out of hair and applied rinse out conditioner to lightly finger detangle.
- Rinsed hair, applied avocado oil through hair to finger detangle a little more and rinsed.
- Finger sectioned hair in 4 and wrapped sections in bantu knots
- Starting from the back, worked Curl Enhancing Smoothie through the hair followed by the Curling Soufflé section by section.
- Spritzed hair overall with water and worked a little more smoothie along the perimeter of the hair.
- Smoothed a little extra Curling Soufflé around the edges and allowed hair to air dry.
- Went to bed about 3 hours later with hair in a pineapple – roots still damp.
Focus & Thoughts
Today’s micro focus was deep conditioning. In my last post, Deep Conditioning Fine Natural Hair, I share the importance of always deep conditioning your hair on wash day. Conditioner serves to not only add vital nutritionist to the hair shaft but it also softens the hair to make it more manageable.
I decided to try something a little different during my final rinse – an oil rinse. I’m favoring the wash and go now that the weather is warmer and wash and go’s typically bring an increase in single stand knots aka SSKs. Oil rinsing is known to reduce their instances. I think I will do this following each wash day, trying different oils to determine if there’s one oil that works better than another.
I’m also trying to use up conditioners that I will not repurchase. They are Curly Girl friendly but I’m not impressed by them. I have two bottles of Suave Naturals to use up. Once I’m done with those, I’ll be using either TRESemme Naturals or Perfectly (un)Done as my rinse out conditioner.
I give today’s wash day a 5/5. Detangling was a breeze and that oil rinse helped make my hair even more manageable.
Additionally, I haven’t used the Shea Moisture styling products in quite some time. I notice that no matter what products I use for wash and go’s, the Curl Enhancing Smoothie paired with the Curling Soufflé (or alone), yields consistent results.