This is week 21 of 52 wash days chronicling what I’ll be doing to gain length on my fine natural hair. My length goal is waist length within the next 2 1/2 years. Subscribe to this blog to be notified when future posts are published.
Pre-Poo: Organic Unrefined Coconut Oil
Cleanser: Shea Moisture Deep Cleansing Shampoo
Protein Treatment: None
Deep Conditioner: None
Rinse Out Conditioner: TRESemme Naturals Nourishing Moisture Conditioner
Leave In Conditioner:TRESemme Naturals Perfectly (un)done Conditioner
Sealant and/or Styler: EcoStyler Curl & Wave Gel
Tools: Fingers :-), large tooth comb, rat tail comb to part
Wash Day Procedure
- Parted hair down the center and applied coconut oil throughout hair, allowing it to sit for about an hour before washing.
- Hopped in the shower and allowed hair to saturate with hot water.
- Applied shampoo to scalp and washed scalp, allowing the suds to just run down the hair.
- Rinsed and applies rinsing conditioner.
- Lightly finger detangled working from the right to the left sided of the head and finished detangling with a large tooth comb, starting at the top of the hair down to the center and reversing the process to work from the bottom up.
- Allowed the water stream to assist with detangling with the wide tooth shower comb.
- Put detangled sections in two knots – 1 on each side of my head.
- Hopped out of the shower and took one side of my hair down, splitting it in two.
- Working from the back to the front, applied a dollop of leave in conditioner to the section and smoothed down.
- Followed the conditioner with the gel, working in a smoothing motion.
- When finished apply product, allowed it to air dry 20%.
- Put a cotton tee over one side of the hair and plopped (scrunched upwards with the tee, while allowing it to absorb excess oil).
- Plopped the left side.
- Air dried 75% of the way and then went to bed with hair in a pineapple. Roots were still wet.
Focus & Thoughts
Today’s micro focus was to get my curls to really pop for my wash and go . I remember using TRESemme’s Perfectly (un)Done’s conditioner alone for my wash and go a while back and it is super hydrating. I figure if I could combine it with my new favorite gel for added hold, I’d have a winning combination. Add to that my use of the plopping technique and this fine natural hair has experienced another successful wash ‘n go.
I know I skipped deep conditioning another week but I was extremely tired due to being on my cleanse which I shared here. I would normally never skip a deep conditioning session but it was either that or go another week without washing my hair. That couldn’t happen.
Last off, I seem to be having a lot of late night wash sessions that lead to wash and go’s which never dry! I go to bed with wet roots. The only thing I like about this is in the morning while it’s not completely dry, I get nice elongation.
I give today’s wash day another 4/5. I skipped deep conditioning another week which is highly discouraged. Although, I love my curls I know I can’t go another week without deep conditioning and using some protein. The thing is I’m going to be out of pocket next weekend so I may skip wash day altogether. Hence, I may do a protective style mid week. Stay tuned…