This is a recap of week 22 and 23 of 52 wash days chronicling what I’ll be doing to gain length on my fine natural hair. My length goal is waist length within the next 2 1/2 years. Subscribe to this blog to be notified when future posts are published.
Pre-Poo: Organic Unrefined Coconut Oil
Cleanser: As I Am Coconut Co-wash
Protein Treatment: DIY Goat’s Milk treatment
Deep Conditioner: Shea Moisture Manuka Honey and Mafurah Oil Deep Conditioner
Rinse Out Conditioner: Shea Moisture Zanzibar Marine Complex
Leave In Conditioner: Shea Moisture Professional Curl Memory Conditioner
Sealant and/or Styler: Curls Blueberry Bliss Control Paste (edges only)
Tools: Fingers :-), clips
Wash Day Procedure
- Applied coconut oil throughout hair the night before washing, sectioning into 4 braids.
- Next morning, hopped in the shower and washed hair with co-wash section by section.
- After rinsing each section, applied my DIY goat’s milk conditioner to hair, put on a plastic cap and sat under my dome shaped hair dryer for 10 minutes.
- Rinsed hair under the tub and applied my deep conditioner and plastic cap.
- Sat back under hair dryer for 10 more minutes.
- Hopped back in the shower and applied SM Zanzibar Marine Complex conditioner over hair and finger detangled.
- Rinsed hair of deep conditioner/rinse out conditioner with cool water.
- Out of the shower, sectioned hair in 4 and applied the SM Zanzibar Marine Complex conditioner throughout hair.
- Applied curl memory to each medium sized section before twisting and twisted from back to front.
- Smoothed roots and section of twist while twisting.
- Once all twists were done (about 16), sat under warm dryer for about 15 minutes before going out.
- Air dried for another 3 hours until fully dried.
- Released the twists without separating.
- Fluffed the roots from underneath and allowed hair to separate naturally.
- Smoothed edges with Curls Blueberry Bliss Control Paste.
Focus & Thoughts
The last couple of weeks have been crazy with family commitments. So, I don’t think I have had much of a micro focus except for just making sure my hair was clean and moisturized! Last week I was away with my son for a special needs event. I didn’t have time for a proper day of hair care but I did co-wash my hair with TRESemme’s Perfectly (un)done conditioner, leaving some of it in followed by applying my favorite EcoStyler Gel for a wash and go.
This week I had much more time to do my hair and the new Shea Moisture products I used were simply amazing. That’s why….
I give today’s wash day a 5/5. My hair shed less than usual and was very easy to detangle. I set my twists for a few hours and once they were dry, I unraveled them to reveal wonderful definition and frizz free hair.