This is a recap of week 25 of 52 wash days chronicling what I’ll be doing to gain length on my fine natural hair. My length goal is waist length within the next 2 1/2 years. Subscribe to this blog to be notified when future posts are published.
Cleanser: TRESemme Naturals Nourishing Moisturizing Conditioner
Protein Treatment/Deep Conditioner: Organic Red Raj Henna from HennaSooq + DIY Avocado/Banana/Coconut Milk/Honey/Oils
Rinse Out Conditioner: TRESemme Naturals Nourishing Moisturizing Conditioner
Leave In Conditioner: Camille Rose Naturals Fresh Curls
Sealant and/or Styler: Camille Rose Naturals Coconut Water Style Setter
Tools: Fingers :-), Plastic cap, Hot Head, Glass bowl, plastic gloves, and clips
Wash Day Procedure
- Sectioned hair in 4 and worked henna mixture through out hair (I mix my henna with hot filtered water, allowed to sit over night and then added a tablespoon of honey before applying) from back to front.
- Put a plastic cap and plastic wrap around my head and allowed henna to sit for 3 hours.
- Leaned over tub and rinsed out all the henna.
- Applied TRESEmme conditioner throughout hair and rinsed.
- Applied DIY Avocado/Coconut Milk/Banana/Honey/Oils Deep conditioner throughout hair and put on a plastic cap.
- Put on Hot Head after microwaving it for 90 secs and allowed to sit on my head for 15 mins.
- Popped Hot Head back in microwave for another 45 secs to put back on my hair for another 10 mins.
- Leaned over tub and rinsed out deep conditioner while finger detangling.
- Draped my shoulders with a towel and applied Fresh Curls through hair.
- Sectioned hair in 4 with clips.
- Starting from back to front applied Coconut Water Style setter to hair to one section at a time prior to twisting. I ended up with 13 twists.
- Clipped twists back and put on my Slap Cap for bed.
Focus & Thoughts
My micro focus this wash day was covering my grey hair while fortifying it. I mentioned all over my social media (you can find me @FNHairNFaith on most) how my grey hairs were taking over! I really don’t like grey hair all around my hairline so it was really time for the henna.
I purchased a box of henna from HennaSooq over a year ago when I went to the World Natural Hair Show in Atlanta. I LOVE it. It’s organic (something i’m trying to use more of throughout my entire life) and the stain was perfect for me. My grey hairs are a reddish orange but they are completely covered!
I also noticed with this henna that I had a more curl loosening when rinsing and far less shedding than on normal wash days. Score.
As for my newest leave in conditioner, it’s not really new. I just haven’t used it in a while because I’ve had so many hair products to work through. Fresh Curls from Camille Rose Naturals is one of my favorite products. It affects my hair very much like Cassandre Beccai’s Hair Milk (think I’ll rotate the 2). It’s not really a leave in conditioner but it can be used as one. I normally use it to moisturize my hair and soften it for added manageability. I will be using it after spraying my hair with my DIY henna tea spray throughout the week.
Now, that coconut water styler? The Bomb.com OK. that’s and old and played out saying but I could think of nothing more fitting! I purchased the coconut water deep penetrating conditioner when I went to the hair show as well. I loved it but didn’t repurchase because it’s $20 in the store! That’s a lot of money. At the hair show I got it for $10 and I wish I had purchased more but it was my first time trying it so I didn’t want to buy extra and then my hair not like it. The coconut water style setter on the other hand is only $15. Yeah I know it’s only $5 difference but what I really appreciate is you only need a small amount per section. My hair is so defined and soft I almost hated to do what I did – Put my hair in a bun!
Yes that’s right. After all of that, I bunned my hair. Why? Because I’ve been wearing it out quite a bit and my hair needs protection. How else am I going to get to waist length fine natural hair if I don’t protect it on a regular? 🙂
Today’s wash day was a winner! 5/5. My hair shedding was minimal, I got unbelievably stretched, hydrated, shiny and strong curls. What more could I ask for? 🙂