This is a recap of week 29 of 52 wash days chronicling what I’ll be doing to gain length on my fine natural hair. My length goal is waist length within the next 2 1/2 years. Subscribe to this blog to be notified when future posts are published.
Pre-Poo: Organic Unrefined Coconut Oil + Suave Naturals Ocean Breeze Conditioner + Shea Moisture 10 in 1 Renewal Serum
Cleanser: African Black Soap scented with Sweet Orange Essential Oil
Protein Treatment/Deep Conditioner: None
Rinse Out Conditioner: TRESemme Naturals Nourishing Moisture Conditioner
Leave In Conditioner: Shea Moisture Curl Memory Leave in Conditioner
Sealant and/or Styler: EcoStyler Curl and Wave Gel + DIY Oil Mix
Tools: Fingers 🙂 Cotton Tee
Wash Day Procedure
- Worked coconut oil followed by conditioner throughout hair in 4 sections using “natural” predetermined parts.
- Massaged serum all over scalp.
- Put the 4 sections in bantu knots for an hour or so and then hopped in the shower and washed each section out.
- Washed scalp and kept sections separate.
- Applied rinse out conditioner throughout hair and lightly finger detangled.
- Rinsed with cold water and allowed hair to remain soaking wet.
- Put cotton tee around shoulders to absorb dripping water.
- Working from left to right/back to front, applied leave in conditioner generously throughout hair.
- Then, working on one side of my hair from the back, I worked the gel on top in a smoothing motion.
- Repeated gel application on the other side.
- Used tee to scrunch hair up to absorb a little water.
- Smoothed DIY oil mix across the top layer of my hair.
- Allowed hair to air dry.
Focus & Thoughts
I know I know. Today isn’t typically my wash day chronicle update! Well, I had to delay posting this because I was just darn exhausted! I also wanted to get my BlogHer15 Recap which I shared on Wednesday. It was such a phenomenal conference and networking event. I didn’t want it to end! I met so many phenomenal people and learned so much. Definitely check out that post.
I will be back to my regularly scheduled Monday post sharing my fine natural hair wash day this coming Monday. Now, back to the hair…
My micro focus this wash day was to set my curls with lots of moisture. I normally would get a lot of my moisture from my deep conditioner but for lack of time, I opted to just use loads of conditioner at every step of the process: Pre-Poo, Detangling in the shower, and Setting my curls.
Also, using the oil over the gel helped to seal in the moisture. When my hair dried, no crunch, no crunch at all. I didn’t have to scrunch out any firmness that I normally get when doing a wash and go using gel on my fine hair.
I’m giving today’s wash day a 4.5/5. It was a VERY fast wash day. Little to no tangled hair thanks to my recent trim (more on that later) and my wash and go was totally on point. The only reason I took off a .5 is I neglected to deep condition. I had such a long weekend attending BlogHer15 and a trip to the ER with my husband that I just didn’t have time.