This is a recap of week 33 of what was to be 52 weeks of wash days chronicling what I’ll be doing to gain length on my fine natural hair. For the sake of low manipulation, I’m going to wash every 2 weeks for a couple of months. I’m still going to keep the mid-week oil rinse as I mentioned in this post on growing my fine hair back. My length goal is waist length within the next 2 1/2 years. Subscribe to this blog to be notified when future posts are published.
Pre-Poo: Baidyanath Mahabhringraj Herbal Hair Oil
Cleanser: Maple Holistics Argan Shampoo
Protein Treatment/Deep Conditioner: Shea Moisture Deep Treatment Masque
Rinse Out Conditioner: Maple Holistics Silk18 Conditioner
Leave In Conditioner: Maple Holistics Silk18 Conditioner
Sealant and/or Styler: EcoStyler Curl and Wave Gel
Tools: Fingers :-), Plastic Cap, Hot Head Conditioning Cap, Plastic bowl and spatula
Wash Day Procedure
- Previously applied Mahabhringraj oil a night before.
- Finger parted hair on the side and lightly finger detangled hair.
- Put hair in 4 large twists
- Wet hair with warm water thoroughly under the shower stream.
- Applied a dime size amount to each of the 4 twisted sections on the scalp only.
- Massaged scalp with the pads of my fingers.
- Rinsed hair with warm water, allowing the shampoo to rinse down the twists.
- Released twists and applied deep conditioner throughout hair working downward.
- Put on plastic cap and Hot Head (heated for 90 secs – 40 secs on one side 50 on the other).
- Sat for about 12 minutes before removing Hot Head and plastic cap and hopping back in the shower to rinse.
- Rinsed hair with cool (not cold) water and applied rinse out conditioner.
- Worked conditioner through hair and continued with finger detangling.
- Rinsed hair with cool water and rang out excess water with hands.
- Applied more of the Maple Holistics conditioner through hair and smoothed hair with hands.
- Worked quarter size amount of gel on the surface of hair, then another quarter size amount underneath.
- Ensured that all hair was coated with gel by raking my fingers through my hair.
- Finished the styling process by smoothing using the praying hands method.
- Allowed hair to air dry for a light, bouncy wash and go .
Focus & Thoughts
My micro focus this wash day was to add moisture and set my curls with minimal manipulation. My wash process was very fast. Having that herbal hair oil on my hair for a couple of days is really doing some things. I just purchased this oil after doing some research on Indian hair oils. I will write a full review on it some time in the future. I want to use it religiously for a while so I can determine how beneficial it actually is to my fine natural hair. Stay tuned for that review.
I’m giving today’s wash day a total 5/5. I was very pleased with the new products I used and their results. I’ll be posting a full review later this week.