This is a recap of week 34 of what was to be 52 weeks of wash days chronicling what I’ll be doing to gain length on my fine natural hair. For the sake of low manipulation, I’m going to wash every 2 weeks for a couple of months. I’m still going to keep the mid-week oil rinse as I mentioned in this post on growing my fine hair back. My length goal is waist length within the next 2 1/2 years. Subscribe to this blog to be notified when future posts are published.
Pre-Poo: Organic Unrefined Coconut Oil
Cleanser: Maple Holistics Argan Shampoo
Protein Treatment/Deep Conditioner: None
Rinse Out Conditioner: Maple Holistics Silk18 Conditioner
Leave In Conditioner: None
Sealant and/or Styler: Camille Rose Naturals Curl Maker + Oil Mix + EcoStyler Curl and Wave Gel
Tools: Fingers :-), old tee shirt
Wash Day Procedure
- Applied coconut oil throughout hair the day before.
- Thoroughly wet hair with warm water.
- Applied shampoo to scalp and washed with pads of my fingers
- Rinsed hair with warm water and applied conditioner throughout hair.
- Finger detangled hair from back to front, one small section at a time.
- Rinsed with warm water
- Wrapped hair in an old tee shirt to absorb water, sitting with the shirt on for about 30 minutes
- Removed tee and twisted hair up.
- Finger parted hair starting from the back and applied small amount of CurlMaker followed by my oil mix and twisted.
- Completed the process until hair was complete.
- Smoothed my edges and the top twists with EcoStyler gel.
- Pulled twists back into two ponytails and banded the ponytails.
- Tied twists down with a satin scarf and went to bed.
- In the morning, released the scarf to reveal shiny, smooth twists.
Focus & Thoughts
My micro focus this wash day was to establish a short term protective style quickly. The verdict is still pending regarding if I want to stick with an every other week wash day. Still testing it out. However, I still need to do a mid-week oil rinse which I’m enjoying. It helps keep my hair tangle free for longer periods.
So, this wash day chronicle is sort of a cheat. I normally have my full wash day on the weekends but since I’m skipping another week due to social commitments, I did a little more than an oil rinse mid-week. I actually shampoo’d (check out my review of the Maple Holistics shampoo and conditioner here). I skipped the deep conditioning since I did this late at night but since I’m spritzing my hair almost nightly and applying an oil mix, I’m getting plenty of moisture.
Finally, on day 2 I actually realized that I wanted more twists so I released quite a few in the front and re-twisted them, turning one twist into two.
I’m giving today’s substitute “wash day” a total 4.5/5 because I didn’t deep condition and I manipulated my hair a little more than I had planned. That’s not something I normally skip. However, my twists are very lively and lush 🙂 My hair is super soft and retaining moisture since it’s in the twists.
Check out this video sharing how I refreshed the twists after a few days: