This is a recap of week 35 of what was to be 52 weeks of wash days chronicling what I’ll be doing to gain length on my fine natural hair. For the sake of low manipulation, I’m going to wash every 2 weeks for a couple of months. I’m still going to keep the mid-week oil rinse as I mentioned in this post on growing my fine hair back. My length goal is waist length within the next 2 1/2 years. Subscribe to this blog to be notified when future posts are published.
Cleanser: As I Am Coconut Co-wash
Protein Treatment/Deep Conditioner: Organic Red Raj Henna/True by made beautiful
Rinse Out Conditioner: None
Leave In Conditioner: Kinky Curly Knot Today
Sealant and/or Styler: Camille Rose Naturals Curl Maker + Oil Mix
Tools: Fingers :-), old tee shirt, plastic cap, Glad Wrap, Hot Head conditioning cap, afro pick
Wash Day Procedure
- Spritzed hair with a little water to make it easier to handle.
- Clipped hair into 4 sections.
- Working from the back, applying henna to the sections and re-clipping the hair up.
- Once finished applying, wrapped hair in Glad Wrap followed by a plastic cap.
- Allowed henna to stay in hair for 2 hours.
- Removed plastic cap and wrap, then removed clips.
- Rinsed out with warm water until water ran almost clear.
- Washed scalp with As I Am Cowash while lightly finger detangling hair.
- Rinsed with warm water
- Applied deep conditioner throughout hair and put the plastic cap back on.
- Heat up Hot Head in the microwave and put on head.
- Kept Hot Head on for about 12 minutes.
- Removed Hot Head and plastic cap.
- Rinsed with warm water and lightly finger detangled.
- On dripping hair, blotted it just a little with an old t-shirt.
- Applied oil mix all throughout hair.
- Worked leave in conditioner throughout hair and re-clipped hair into 4 sections.
- Working from the back to the front, applied CurlMaker to the sections just before finger detangling the section and twisting.
- Concluded withou about 12 twists total.
- Allowed twists to nearly dry before banding the twists into two ponytails.
- In the morning, I released the twists and fluffed with an afro pic.
Focus & Thoughts
My micro focus this wash day was to cover my unruly grays and get some “weight” on to these fine strands. I mixed my henna up about 5 hours before applying it. I mixed it with a lightly acidic mixture of black tea and hot water. I normally just use water since my scalp is so sensitive but decided to revisit the black tea additive. I only steeped the bag for a few seconds.
My henna mixture was perfect and there was no fall out or splatter. I’m becoming a real pro! I guess I can take a couple weeks off of protein treating since I just did this henna.
The CRN CurlMaker is growing on me….but not for wash and go’s. I really like using it to set my twists. I get a very smooth set and when the hair dries, its nice and shiny.
In 2 weeks when I wash again, I’ll make the final determination upon examining my strands but for now…
I’m giving today’s wash day a 5/5. I absolutely love this new deep conditioner. My hair was so smooth and soft and very easy to handle. My twist out results were beyond what I could ask for having fine hair. Full and luscious. With more length, I may become my own hair idol LOL
Check out this video sharing my wash day plans. I wanted to try something a little different.