This is a recap of week 28 of 52 wash days chronicling what I’ll be doing to gain length on my fine natural hair. My length goal is waist length within the next 2 1/2 years. Subscribe to this blog to be notified when future posts are published.
Pre-Poo: Organic Unrefined Coconut Oil + TRESemme Naturals Nourishing Moisture Conditioner
Cleanser: African Black Soap scented with Sweet Orange Essential Oil
Protein Treatment/Deep Conditioner: Shea Moisture Manuka and Mafura Oil Deep Conditioner
Rinse Out Conditioner: None
Leave In Conditioner: Aloe Vera Juice + Camille Rose Naturals Style Setter
Sealant and/or Styler: Camille Rose Naturals CurlMaker
Tools: Fingers :-), Plastic cap, Hot Head,
Wash Day Procedure
- Worked coconut oil followed by conditioner throughout hair in 4 sections.
- Combined front 2 sections into a ponytail and back 2 sections into a large bantu knot.
- Ran errands for a few hours, returned home and hopped in the shower to shampoo.
- Released back of hair and ran water down hair, shampooing scalp.
- Repeated the same shampoo process in the front.
- Applied deep conditioner throughout hair and put on a plastic cap.
- Put on heated Hot Head for 10 minutes.
- Rinsed hair over the tub while lightly finger detangling the deep conditioner out of hair.
- Spritzed hair all over with Aloe Vera juice.
- Sectioned front from back.
- Starting at the back at the nape, applied Style Setter followed by CurlMaker throughout.
- Repeat the application of the 2 products from back to front until complete.
- Kept the middle part that automatically “appears.”
- Allowed hair to air dry.
Focus & Thoughts
My micro focus this wash day was to set curls while sealing the moisture. In an effort to reduce manipulation, I joined a one month wash and go challenge. The basic premise is to wash the hair and set it in a wash and go once per week. You can style your curls, you just can’t re-wash them until the following week.
This week’s wash was pretty uneventful. However, I also started co-washing once during the week. I don’t report on that but I will share more in a post this coming Friday on why I’m doing it, along with what else I’m doing apart from my regular wash day.
I’m giving today’s wash day a 4/5. My hair is clean, conditioned and manageable. It’s just nothing special today. I did rush it a bit and honestly I’m over the wash and go but since I’m on a one month challenge, it will have to do. I guess I’m just bored.