This past weekend I wasn’t much in the mood to deal with my hair. All week my hair was in twists that ended up being quite fuzzy by day 3 (they were in for 7 days).
My husband and I took CJ to the doctor to discuss the next step in his recovery from multiple kidney stones. Surgery is coming. This entire health challenge he’s been going through has put a damper on our lives lately. Hair was just not really important to me this week but I knew I had to do it. Otherwise, I’d regret it. I know I would.
So, I decided on doing the bare minimum which ended in a cute protective style. Initially, I was going to wash my hair on Friday. I started with a half hearted pre-poo where I slapped some Shea Moisture Zanzibar Marine Complex conditioner on to my hair followed by some coconut oil. I didn’t do any sectioning or parting. I really did just slap each product on and then put my hair up in a loose bun. The intention was to wash after about an hour but it never happened. I just didn’t have the energy to do so.
When morning came, I engaged in a seriously half hearted wash day session which included committing a cardinal natural hair sin. I skipped deep conditioning!):
– Washed (no sectioning like I normally do) with an old sulfat free shampoo I reviewed a while back, Maple Holistics Argan Shampoo (focused on my scalp which was a bit itchy)
– Applied the last of an old conditioner I had shelved while I was doing the Curly Girl Method (Shikai Every Day Naturals Conditioner). This conditioner contains silicones but I love how great it detangles and it never created any product build up
– Finger detangled with the conditioner while in the shower
– Rinsed and while still in the shower, applied Kinky Curly Knot Today leave in conditioner
– Outside of the shower, applied some Jojoba oil and little Camille Rose Naturals CurlMaker throughout my hair (CurlMaker helps keep frizz at bay)
I finished it all off by putting my hair in two jumbo flat twists, crisis cross pinned them in the back and then tied my hair down with a satin scarf.
For the better part of the day I just kept the scarf on but because I had to go out later in the evening, I removed the scarf, neatened my edges with some of the CurlMaker gel, and unpinned the twists to wear them down. I got a nice stretch even though they shrunk up later in the evening.
Some time toward the end of the week, I will convert this protective style of jumbo flat twists into a twist out. Also, at some point I plan to take that ginger tea bath that a shared a few days ago.
For now, I will say my hair came out pretty fabulous for doing the bare minimum this wash day. What’s funny is how I used up the rest of a couple old products, the theme for the Wash Day Experience two weeks ago.
It’s amazing how you can put so little effort into styling your hair and it still come out cute 🙂
How as your wash day this past week?