Last updated on November 10th, 2023 at 07:41 am
I mentioned in a previous post that I will be participating in another Hair Growth Challenge. We are almost a month in and while working my way through the challenge I realized I need to scale back on a lot of things. It’s not just about saving money. Most importantly, I really want to embrace low manipulation styling. Therefore, i’m switching to minimalism with my natural hair.
While low manipulation styling really encompasses doing less to your hair so you aren’t handling it so much (usually with a goal of length retention), I have come to realize that doing less for me is also about focus – focusing on using less products and focusing on honing my hair care practices and techniques.
Strategies to Switch to Minimalism with Natural Hair
So, in order to embrace my minimalism with natural hair I’ve been doing a few select things:
- Using up hair products
- Planning on which products I will keep as staples among the few – most of these products can be used in different ways:
- Washing and conditioning my hair in twists
- Wearing the same hairstyle a week to two weeks at a time. (Ex: twists, bun hairstyles) The exception is when I’m attending a special event. At that time, I will make more of an effort with regard to styling.
How a Hair Product Makes the Cut
When it comes to my decision making regarding what products to make my staples, my thought process goes through the following:
- How well does the product perform in my hair
- How well the products work with other products
- Price for amount of product received per ounce
- Can I get these hair products on the ground? If not, are they worth the cost of shipping?
In a future post I’ll be sharing the products I’ve really honed in on for my fine natural hair. Thus, it will be an update to my hair product staples. In the meantime, check out my most recent feature on staple hair products I used in the past.
Do you practice minimalism with your natural hair? If I shared anything that you’re also doing, let me know by leaving a comment down below!