Fenugreek – Native to the Mediterranean region, southern Europe, and western Asia, this herb also called Methi in Hindi is consumed internally and externally. In the case of Indian herbal hair care, fenugreek seeds and or powder can be used to create a fantastic and potent hair growth oil that has a number of benefits.
How Fenugreek Benefits Hair
- treats dry scalp and dandruff
- increases shine along the hair shaft
- prevents early graying of the hair
- strengthens roots/hair follicles (thanks to the rich amount of protein and nicotinic acid)
Where To Get Fenugreek Hair Oil
It’s been about 2 months that I’ve consistently used the Fenugreek “Methi” Hair Growth Oil that was formulated by CurlyProverbz. She shares the recipe if you want to make it yourself in a video. It consists of coconut oil (can be swapped with grapeseed oil), extra virgin olive oil, MSM, vitamin C, Henna, Castor Oil, Tea tree, Peppermint oil, Rosemary oil and of course….Fenugreek Seeds. Check out the video for the exact measurements to make your own. If you’re a bit lazy or just don’t want to go through the trouble of making the oil yourself (you may change your mind later though), you can get the hair growth oil at Belle Bar Organic. You will however, have to add your own MSM powder because they do not carry that ingredient.
Once you have your oil in hand, you’ll need to figure out the best way to use it. You know. Things like how often, how much to use and in what fashion.
While there’s likely a few ways to apply Methi oil for hair growth (and you’re certainly welcome to figure it out on your own), below is my oiling routine for hair growth using the CurlyProverbz Fenugreek Hair Growth Oil recipe that I obtained from Belle Bar Organic (along with some other stuff).
Fenugreek “Methi” oil – hair growth routine
Before getting into how to build the use of Fenugreek oil into your hair regimen, let’s start with the preparation:
– Put some of the oil into a small applicator bottle with a spout tip (leave the seeds out or it will clog the spout!)
– Warm the oil under hot water (no microwaving…it kills the nutrients). Sit the bottle with the applicator spout in a pot of hot water for 3-5 minutes or until it’s as warm as you like. Warm, not hot. You don’t want to scald your scalp.
Now, to apply the oil:
– Split your hair into 4-6 sections (depending on the density of your hair), clipping each section away.
– Starting with the first section, massage the warm Fenugreek hair growth oil into your scalp from back to front. Use your fingers to massage the oil into your scalp first
– Then, for added stimulation use an electric scalp massager like this one. Work in slow circular motions from the back of your head to the front.
– Repeat the process on each of the remaining sections
Follow this oiling regimen every other day to every 2 days if you feel your hair is getting too oily. Now, here’s my disclaimer. I’m warning you in advance. This hair oil combined with the massage process will not only stimulate hair growth. It will send you into a fit of relaxation like you’ve never experienced before. That’s why it’s a good idea to follow this oiling routine at night before you go to bed. The actual benefits are taking place while you are sleeping. It’s a prime time for the oil to absorb into your hair and scalp but the major relaxation you’ll experience should not be slighted! Especially, if you have difficulty falling asleep. Can I get an amen?!
The entire process of applying and massing the Fenugreek hair growth oil into your scalp should take about five minutes but you may want to continue massaging due to how good it feels.
On wash day, I recommend applying your Fenugreek Hair Growth Oil to your scalp directly after your final rinse and just before adding any styling products.
One last take away….less is more. You don’t have to saturate your hair with oil. A little goes a long way.
Thank God for potent herbs and oils. Now, let’s grow some hair…