Using clay masks is an effective way to remove product build up without stripping your hair bare. The DIY clay hair masks shared in this article are simple to create.
Clay masks aren’t only good for removing product build up (clarifying). Depending on how you create a DIY clay mask, it can have any number of benefits including:
- Adding shine to the hair
- Balancing moisture
- Defining curls
Before we get to the recipes, let’s do a quick overview of the three clays we’ll be using to make the hair masks: Bentonite, Rhassoul, Kaolin.
If you don’t care about all that, click here to jump right to the: Recipes for DIY Clay Hair Masks
Bentonite is the most common clay used to make DIY clay masks (for hair and skin). It has a negative ionic charge, attracting toxic substances with a positive charge and is sourced from volcanic ash. Read all about Bentonite Clay here.
Rhassoul clay, also called Ghassoul clay is similar to Bentonite in that it has a negative charge and draws out toxins with a positive charge. However, Rhassoul clay also has a positively charged exterior and can draw negatively charged substances such as pesticides.
Read about all the differences between Bentonite and Rhassoul here.
Last but not least, Kaolin Clay is made up of a wide variety of minerals and depending on the structure, it can draw negative or positive substances. It’s quite scienc-y and not that easy for me to explain. So, if it interests you, this article here explains it all.
Now on to what you really want to know – The DIY Clay Hair Masks Recipes.
DIY Clay Hair Masks – Simple Ingredients
Bentonite Clay, Rhassoul Clay, Kaolin Clay, Essential Oils (Lavender, Sweet Orange), Apple Cider Vinegar, Distilled H20, Organic Sweet Almond Oil, Organic Coconut Oil
DIY CLAY HAIR MASK RECIPE #1
- 1/2 cup Rhassoul Clay
- 1/3 cup Bentonite Clay
- 1/4 cup Kaolin Clay
- 3 tablespoons of Apple Cider Vinegar
- 1-2 tablespoons of Organic Sweet Almond Oil
- 5 drops of lavender essential oil
- 5 drops of sweet orange essential oil
This is a very balanced clay mask recipe. This recipe was adopted from Green Beauty on Youtube. You can use the oil and essential oil of your choice. My recommendations are a part of this recipe.
CLAY HAIR MASK RECIPE #2
- 1/2 Cup Bentonite Clay
- 6 tablespoons of Apple Cider Vinegar
- 3 tablespoons of Distilled water
- 1 tablespoon Organic Sweet Almond Oil
- 1 tablespoon Organic Coconut Oil
This recipe is great for smoothing your hair’s cuticle, conditioning and adding shine.
SIMPLE CLAY HAIR MASK RECIPE #3
- 1/2 Cup Rhassoul Clay
Distilled Water (apply slowly and as the clay absorbs, use a little more until reaching the desired consistency)
- 1 teaspoon of Organic Sweet Almond Oil
- 5 drops of Sweet Orange Essential Oil
This hair mask helps to impart moisture to the hair.
Tips for Crating DIY Clay Hair Masks
Before you go mixing up your DIY clay masks, here are a few things to take into consideration:
- Use plastic, glass or wooden mixing bowls and spoons. Metal interferes with the efficacy of the clays.
- If you have long hair, you can double the ingredients in the recipe to make a sufficient amount for your hair.
- If you have shorter hair, you can halve the recipe or refrigerate (in a sealed container) for use within a week.