Last updated on November 10th, 2023 at 07:27 am
When you have a goal to grow your hair to the longest length possible, one of the things you can do to accomplish your goal is protective styling. The protective style below is a pin curl updo on African American hair.
Protective styling can be boring so learning to create intricate looking yet simple to create styles is a must to keep you going with your protective hairstyling.
In the video below, you’ll find the very first hairstyle tutorial I ever created (I published this in 2012!): The Elegant Pin Curled Up-do Bun
Normally, I just create a slideshow of hairstyles that include buns, curls up-dos and other protective styles for long or medium length hair. However, I’ve received inquiries as to how I do some of my styles so tutorials it is.
African American Pin Curled Updo – Needed Items
The items used to create the pin curled updo bun mentioned in the video are as follows:
- Shea Moisture Organic Coconut and Hibiscus Hold and Shine Moisture Mist (optional)
- Eco Styler Olive Oil Gel (but preferably Aloe Vera Gel)
- Jane Carter Nourish and Shine
- Goody Two in One Brush
- Banana Clip
- Goody Double Coated Bobby Pins
- Stretchy headband
This protective style can be worn adorned in so many ways. If you really want to make it look like its part of the African American culture, here’s a few ways you can change up the look:
- Add a head wrap, but let the pin curls peek out the top
- Tie it up with an African print headscarf
- Add some loc jewelry
- Lastly, put on a turban. Yes, it will cover the entire style but it’s now even more protective 🙂
Key Take-aways from the video
- No comb is used through the hair to prevent ripping.
- Use a butter based moisturizer to cut down on the crunch created by gel
- It’s much more gentle on fine strands to finger detangle.
- Goody double coated open ended bobby pins are the best. Don’t skimp on these.
African hair is beautiful. There’s so many textures colors and curl patterns. Hopefully, this pin curl updo on African American hair will inspire you.