Last updated on July 15th, 2020 at 02:40 pm
In the quest for maintaining healthy hair, I’ve discovered that natural oils can play a huge role in protecting your hair in a number of ways. Natural oils for healthy hair can be incorporated in with all of your staple line of hair care products because they work at locking, sealing, preventing, helping and boosting:
* To lock in moisture on wash day
– For sealing your ends on wash day
* Prevent tangling and breakage (by providing necessary slip when dry styling
– Help with detangling
* Boost your conditioner’s effectiveness
Oils in general help to lubricate the hair (notice I didn’t say moisturize). I’ve even read articles about mineral oil being helpful. However, I refrain from it because it does my hair no good whatsoever.
There are many oils that you can use to keep your hair healthy including those of an ayurvedic nature. Ayurvedic or herbal oils are best when not mixed with any sort of preservatives or other “contaminants.”
Here are the oils I’m currently using (notice most are Herbal or 100% natural):
Herbal (Ayurvedic) or Combination Oils
- Brahmi Oil for use in a henna gloss
- Vatika Oil for my pre-poo (pre-shampoo for those new to natural hair care)
- Burt’s Bees Nourishing Baby Oil (nothing like that stuff with mineral oil in it) to work through my hair daily to prevent tangles. It contains: Apricot kernel oil, Grape seed oil, Wheat germ oil, Fragrance, Sunflower seed oil, Rosemary leaf extract, Vitamin E, Soybean oil, beta-carotene, Canola oil, and Limonene (comes from the skin of citrus fruits)
- Carol’s Daughter Lisa’s Hair Elixir (a combination of Soybean oil, Sweet Almond oil, Olive Fruit oil, Peppermint oil, Sage oil, Rosemary Leaf oil, and perfume fragrance) to prevent fly aways and frizz when taking out my twist outs or braid outs. It’s also great fabulous smelling hair! I alternate it with the Burt’s Bees
Single Natural Oils
- Olive and Jamaican Black Castor Oil (JBCO) for scalp massages. JBCO is also used to seal my ends.
- Strong Roots Red Pimento Oil – I’m newly using this to see if it helps with my itchy scalp.
- Argan Oil to complete my hairstyles – you get amazing shine with this
What natural oils do you use on your hair?
If you don’t use oil, will you plan to after reading this post?